Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Tiny Frontiers: Laneira #2

Icon for Hire, Supposed to Be

An alert chimes within the cockpit; an incoming communication from Captain Novari aboard The Light and Dark.

“Yes, Captain?”

“Commander, looks like I’m delegating a task to you. I’m sending a Skip Boost your direction. Send the rest of the squadron back to the ship.”

Curious. “What’s the task?”

“Seem like someone wants to speak with the Starborn Collective. I’d rather not do it, so…”

Thanks. “Understood, Captain. Who am I meeting?”

“A human. Brencia the Grey. She’d like to acquire land rights in, as she calls it, The Raven Woods.”

My heart skips a beat; I let the information sink in until it picks up again. “Got it.”

Brencia. Acquiring land rights. I guess this would be Brencia the First, preparing her little empire with the founding of The Rook. I turn my attention back to the task at hand.

The thing I like about space? Getting deliveries is easy. Just put material into a rail cannon and fire it off in the direction you want it to go. The Light and Dark is doing just that, sending out a sub engine that will allow me to use the Skip Relay Network.

Laneira pilots her fighter toward the delivery point. From beyond Waka’i 3, a cannon’s payload rapidly approaches from her flank. Laneira match speeds; the Skip Boost harness settles into the clamps along the back of the craft. Twin engines light green on the console as the device comes online.

Skipping is a technology the Starborn had reverse engineered a couple centuries ago. It kind of works like quantum tunneling and entanglement with superposition. The quick explanation: The Skip Engine activates and uncouples me from the Universe. It finds the nearest, most likely result of trajectory and reintroduces my craft there.

Skip Boosts are still bounded by relativity. The further out I travel, and the faster I move, the greater the time dilation. Very important for a pilot to maintain a level head, especially in combat. Equipped with one of these, combat elevates to a different level. A panicked pilot may inadvertently Skip an immense distance and find themselves lost. Stranded. Or worse.

Laneira’s fighter transfers power to the engines on her back. What an outside observer would see is the craft growing fuzzy, indistinct. A beam of piercing energy flies toward the system’s Skip Relay then she disappears.

In an explosion of star light, Laneira rematerializes near her destination. The Relay appears as an immense rectangular ship. The bow is split like a tuning fork, large enough for the most immense battle cruiser to slip between. The Skip Engines communicate, sharing details of composition and locations. A green light flickers, and Laneira takes her place between the alien metallic arms.

And this is what I see as the Skip Relay powers up. The nose of the fighter becomes blurred. Copies of my ship appear above, below then surrounding me as my delicate grip on reality becomes equally indistinct. Then… darkness.

Travelling faster than light is rather hollow. Light blue shifts and lengthens. For the briefest instant, the stars ahead turn from pinpoints to streaks. Then they shift into a spectrum I can’t physically see. Except for the destination. That appears ahead of me as a tiny hole in the darkest tunnel.

As I exit at the other end of the network, the Skip Relay’s shields power up. Another fact about faster than light travel: the bubble surrounding the craft builds heat. When you exit and the bubble collapses, that heat goes somewhere. In this case, a cloud of plasma shoots forward at the Relay; the shield intercepts and begins leeching the energy, turning it into fuel for its own use. A self contained system.

“Tell me who I’m supposed to be now; make me better…”

A miniature comet streaks by. The ship’s systems casually scan it: a tiny parcel of organic matter heading toward the third planet.

A sinking feeling as pieces begin to fit together. I engage the Skip Boost and head toward The Broken Land, our name for the third planet. As humans expanded their reach; we retreated further until becoming an almost entirely space faring species.

“Can you fix this? Am I too far gone? I’ve never done this before…”

Nearing the planet’s single moon, the craft and comet are flying at matching speeds. The figure in the angelic nimbus glances over as four objects peel away and take shape around her.

“Fet, I want to talk to her, and I’m in a weaponized machine.”

“I can’t just rewrite the software you’re making, D,” he replies. “There’s a certain finesse that… Hold on.”

Fetu rolls a Standard Test for hacking: 2, 5
Laneira’s Trait “born to fly” overwritten with “voltaic angel of retribution.”

“I don’t wanna be stuck; I don’t wanna be crazy…”

“Best I can do. You might experi-”

Burning. It feels like a fever. At first. Then hot. Like searing heat. Then agonizing as every cell in my body explodes with fire. The craft around me burns to ash as I’m enveloped by a skin of pure energy. Flaming wings burst and spread from my back, electrical feathers touch the void.

The four conjured artifacts turn to ash; their light extinguished. The two angelic forms spiral down to the surface of The Broken Land. Their impact leaves small craters that crack the ground beneath them.

Brencia the Last rises, clad in a bronze cuirass and leather skirt, the hoplon gripped firmly. Her eyes burn with anger from beneath her Corinthian helm.

“What have you done?!” she screams.

“I fear, now, there’s not much left of me; when you take the sick away, who am I supposed to be?”

Monday, February 19, 2018

Tiny Frontiers: Laneira #1

Icon For Hire, Only A Memory

The loading area is a starless void carpeted by luminous glaucous fog. Fetu's voice emanates from the darkness.

“This VIU Point is a little different. I took some of the safeguards offline so your subconscious has more control over the module. Gonna buffer it about seven to ten seconds so I can check for problems. That's why the long loading screen.”

“So we're playing with my brain. How's that work?”

“Easy. It watches your activity and interprets what you're thinking into constructs.”

“You're reading my mind?”

“Well, yeah, that's how VIU Points work, yeah? No worry though, your activity is encrypted.”

“Wait. You're recording these?!”

“How else is the software gonna adapt?”

“Fetu. When I get out, I'm going to fuc-”

“Whoa. Hey. Look. It's encrypted ,’k? Besides, you're like a sista. That'd be like me thinking about my mom.”

“That's… just… no. You know what? Nevermind. Every VIU client is recorded?”

“You got it. Some things I seen? Twisted. Vince seems pretty clean.”

“Vince doesn't play games.”

Fetu fell silent for a couple heartbeats. “VIU Point done. Injecting.”

The void was lit by glowing outlines. Panels of white flickered among them, taking more tangible shapes and fading into a variety of colors.

Ha’ Fo’thi to’ha Ki’o Waka’i Mia
“The Flames of the Sapphire Sea”

The system got its name when the fleet arrived and was greeted by the blue star. Ki’o Waka’i has four planets orbiting around it. K’io Waka’i 3, later called Torrid Wind and Stone, would be colonized shortly after. Waka’i 3 has two moons, little more than orbiting asteroids trapped by the planet’s gravity.

The scene stabilizes. Seated behind a window of what seems to be shatterproof acrylic, D’s transfer completes. Buttons and switches line either side of the cockpit; a fist sized hemisphere of obsidian in front. A voice interrupts.

“Nalu’ta. Thi’ra’wo ni’ wa’setnali.”

Elvish. Fortunately, I grew up speaking it, so I don't need the translation routines to assist.

“Ya’nala,” I reply absently. I use the faint light of the console and buttons to take a closer look at my features.

A familiar face looks back. Sequoia hair pulled into a braid with moss colored eyes. Her uniform is reminiscent of brown and grey leather, though more militant with the insignia of Commander on her collar. Ageless, Laneira seems somehow younger looking out from her reflection.

The hemisphere flares to life. A miniature replica of the blue star, the cockpit is bathed in blue white light. The viewport dims and becomes slightly opaque. Superimposed over the view of Waka’i 3 above, prediction lines spring to life. Nine icons illuminate in response, burning phoenix emblems displaying the position of the 1st Defense Squadron arrayed around her. Three flights of three Predators under Laneira’s command: Dawn, Sunset and Midnight.

Ten elven warmachines lift off from the moon’s surface. The preliminary scans only show one enemy Devourer Spawn, but it was immense. The squadron moves as a single unit, switching from their humanoid warmachine mode to angular fighters. A quiet melody plays around Laneira.

“Fet?” I ask. “Why is there music playing in the background?”

“Dunno. It’s your brain, not mine. I just see music; didn’t look dangerous.”

“Great…”

Daikaiju class Spawn

armored plating, bioelectric discharge, born of rage, carapace, energy reserves, environmental healing (aetheric), lashing tentacles, massive evolution, regeneration, unstoppable mountain

17 HP, 8 Energy

The massive spawn is one of the largest created by the Devourer. A formless shape of dark tentacles that could rival the size of most buildings. A scattering of luminous green eyes stare out into the void, scanning for any kind of life nearby it can consume.

“Dawn, I need you to take point; Sunset grab one of its flanks. Midnight, we’ll gain position and open fire when it’s over extended.”

Three affirmatives come over the comms, mirrored by three phoenix sigils turning green. Dawn flight continues forward, and Sunset veers off at what could best be determined as its rear. Midnight skims down to get beneath the thing; transforming back into the warmachine configuration. The chorus of the song cuts in, softly filling the cockpit with lyrics.

“I will not bend until I break; how much can one bruised body take? Just not enough to silence me; you’re only a memory…”

“Whatever,” I mutter, also switching over to warmachine configuration and freeing the main cannon.

Dawn begins the assault and opens fire with their pulse lasers, emitting streaks of emerald fire that cycle at a rate measured in hundredths of a second. The energy beams lance across the dark skinned thing; the heat evaporating portions of its flesh.

Daikaiju takes 2 damage (15 HP remaining)

The spawn’s luminous eyes increase in intensity; yellow green electricity arcs between its tentacles. A storm surges outward and carves a path toward Dawn.

Dawn rolls a save with Advantage from Agile Dodge: 1, 1, 2

The lightning overtakes the flight and bioelectric energy surges through their systems. Dawn’s propulsion systems flicker and stall. The monstrosity’s tentacles whip out toward Sunset as they sweep by.

Sunset rolls a save with Advantage from Agile Dodge: 2, 2, 5

A tentacle seizes one of the passing ships and pulls it towards the roiling mass. A gaping maw lined with pearlescent teeth opens along its side.

Sunset rolls a Standard Test for melee: 3, 5

The flight members quickly switch to their humanoid forms; green energetic blades form in their hands. They hack into the tentacles holding the captive fighter. The blades burn through its flesh, even as the teeth gnash down on the crippled fighter.

Daikaiju takes 2 damage (13 HP remaining)

“I’ll scream these words ‘til they come true, then I will think no more of you. Look back on what I’m going through; this isn’t my identity…”

I take my time, kicking a leg forward to use its thrust to slow my momentum. I rest an elbow on a crooked knee and fire my rail cannon into its underside.

Midnight follows Laneira’s lead, taking aim with their rail cannons and adding the weight of their metallic slugs to hers.

Daikaiju takes 3 damage (10 HP remaining)

With Dawn temporarily out of commission, the spawn focuses its attention on the two warmachines circling it. The luminous green eyes lock on to one of the elven warriors and swings a massive tendril toward it.

Sunset rolls a Standard Test for melee: 6, 6

The two remaining members of Sunset flight thrust back and spiral around, weaving dangerously close to the approaching limb. Their green blades dart out and trace incisions along its length.

Daikaiju takes 2 damage (8 HP remaining)

“You’re only a memory; this isn’t my identity…”

We complete our deceleration and continue offering supporting fire with the rail cannons.

Daikaiju takes 3 damage (5 HP remaining)

The rail cannons meets with some resistance until a portion of its hide cracks; shards of blackened bone erupt into space followed by sprays of dark fluid after the slugs start tearing into it. The now familiar green arcs dance along its tentacles, directed toward Sunset.

Sunset rolls a save with Advantage from Agile Dodge: 1, 2, 4

Sunset flight disengages and pulls away as the electricity reaches out to power down their systems. The two warriors fly back a safe distance but out of melee range.

Green status lights flicker on Laneira’s console as Dawn’s engines come back online. The creature propels itself toward Midnight, reaching out to snare another victim.

Midnight rolls a save with Advantage from Agile Dodge: 2, 5, 5

“You’re only a memory; this isn’t my identity…”

I watch one of the tentacles wrap itself around a warmachine’s leg and direct Midnight to continue firing into the creature’s mass as Dawn comes back online.

Midnight rolls a Standard Test for shooting: 1, 3

The armored plating is tough. The metal rods from the rail cannons peel and shatter more of the plates but fail to make the creature release its captive. The teeth crush into it.

Dawn flight pivots and jets back into the fight; they open fire with pulse lasers and burn holes through the thing’s armor and skin.

Daikaiju takes 2 damage (3 HP remaining)

Sunset deactivates their energy blades and take aim with rail cannons. More metal spines tear into the spawn. Explosions of armored fragments accompanied by more dark fluid leak into the void.

Daikaiju takes 2 damage (1 HP remaining)

“You’re only a memory; this isn’t my identity…”

The massive beast quakes; the glowing green eyes glare defiantly at Midnight as it strikes at them with what time it has left.

I’ve lost two members of the 1st Defense Squadron; those are heavy losses. Excusable, considering what we’re up against, but hard to replace. Midnight flight are the senior members, followed by Sunset. Dawn are the newest members of the squadron.

I let the clamps on the back of the warmachine take hold of the rail cannon; the energy blade springs to life.

Midnight rolls a Standard Test for melee: 3, 4

Three energy blades light, and the members of Midnight flight charge toward the spawn. One tentacle snakes around another victim, green electricity shorting circuitry and cutting power. The green blade flickers and dies. Laneira’s blade slashes out and severs the limb holding the warmachine.

The last active member of Midnight and Laneira fly along the spawn’s mass, cutting into its bulk and slicing away its armor. Its limbs flail uselessly, the one gaping maw soundlessly screaming … something. Then the green light behind its eyes dim and go dark.

“You’re only a memory; this isn’t my identity…”

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Tiny Frontiers: Laneira #0

I really like Gallant Knight Games Tinyd6 system. However, like M20, it produces binary results. As seen in the combat posts, binary results can lead to some boring narration when both sides swing ineffectually at each other. I'm introducing one minor change, and that's the result chart from Waypoints. Just about everything else comes from Tiny Dungeon 2E, Tiny Frontiers, and Tiny Frontiers: Mecha and Monsters.


Image from the Elder Scrolls Online

Laneira, Commander of the 1st Defense Squadron

Starborn Sidhe Pilot: born to fly, charismatic, kinetic manipulator, opportunist, sneaky, vigilant, xeno hunter

6 HP, light ranged weapon proficiency (gauss pistol mastery)


Image from Robotech Reference Guide

Touch of Passing Breath, Striker Class Mech “Predator's Sting”

agile dodge, energy blade, flight engines, main cannon, reinforced materials, transformation core

In fighter configuration, the energy blade becomes rapid fire lasers.

10 Structure, 10 Fuel

Friday, February 9, 2018

On Moonlit Wings: Valtyr #4

Player rolls for next area: Monster

Plot Stress: +5 (28)
GM rolls Stress Check: 46
Location: (4) Fissure/crevasse
Quality #1: (74) Bird calls
Quality #2: (78) Serene
Quality #3: (79) Floral scents

GM rolls for Encounter Budget: 80 (!!)
GM rolls for foe encountered: 9 animals/mounts (18)
GM rolls for foe encountered: talented NPC, leader (10)
GM rolls for foe encountered: 9 average team members, religious (27)
GM rolls for foe encountered: 25 non-combatants (25)
GM rolls for foe rationale: Drunk/drugged

9 skeletal minions (CR 0, minions): 1 HP, AC 12, ruined melee weapons (1 dmg)

Priest of Fenrir (CR ¼): 5 HP, 6 MP, AC 14, warhammer +2 (1d6), diminish mind

Valtyr awakens, unknowingly having fallen asleep after the events of the battle. His hit points, magic points and arm ring are restored.

The cave he had fallen asleep in, beneath the glow of the coin beside him, shows stone and the corpses left after the fight. The kobold equipment are simple scraps and of little use. Pressing on through the darkness, Valtyr finds the tunnel continues beyond the cavern the fight had taken place.

It’s a gentle slope downward, heading back to ground level. The cavern walls grow steadily closer until the tunnel is barely wide enough for one person to walk. His quiet, cautious footsteps are broken by sharp bird calls up ahead; a cold wind brings the scent of flowers up to him. Soon, the ceiling of the tunnel breaks open to show starlit skies.

The cave’s opening drops precipitously into a ravine; a narrow path wraps back around to Valtyr’s right, sloping back up toward the tower. Down below, someone is speaking to a small gathering of, perhaps, a couple dozen people. A handful of animate skeletons walk the perimeter of the group. Just beyond the skeletons, several horses are hobbled and allowed free access to the wintry grasses that still grow in the fissure.

Valtyr just isn’t catching a break. His purpose is to recover the Sagas of Njordr, but the gathering of people also has his attention. What can he see from this distance?

Roll Intellect + Knowledge vs DC 15.

Player rolls Intellect + Knowledge vs DC 15: 3

Natural 1: The Candle is extinguished; Dread Track gains a second token.

That’ll teach me to ask questions.

From this distance, it appears they're some kind of cult, perhaps aspiring clergy. It’s hard to tell under a starlit sky without getting closer.

Question #1: Do they seem to be sacrifices?
Player rolls Yes/No: (73) No.
Plot Stress: +1 (29)

Asking for Trouble #1: Can they see me from this distance?
Player rolls Yes/No: (35) Yes.
Plot Stress: +1 (30)

Why am I asking questions…?

Ok, if they don’t seem to be sacrificial, Valtyr assumes they’re here willingly. That makes them bad people hanging out with animated corpses. He’ll continue up the slope and try to sneak back into the tower.

The glowing coin seems to have attracted the attention of a couple skeletons; they detach from marching around the perimeter and begin to ascend the steep slope. The priest appears to take notice and scans the cliff face. Roll Agility + Subterfuge.

Player rolls Agility + Subterfuge: 15
GM rolls Intellect + Subterfuge: 21

The priest spots Valtyr up on the cliff and points. The mass of people slowly turn and search for what the priest is pointing at. The remaining skeletons follow an unheard command and begin their own ascent up the slope.

Question #2: As a Cleric, were the skeletons acting under direct control of the priest?
Player rolls Yes/No: (93) No.
Plot Stress: +1 (31)

Well, double crap. Valtyr knows the path to the tower is narrow, so he can at least limit potential attacks. Time to fall back to the tower.

Asking for Trouble #2: Is the ground clear enough to avoid slipping into the ravine?
Player rolls Yes/No: (31) Yes.
Plot Stress: +1 (32)

Almost an Unexpected Event… Ok, Valtyr’s going to sprint toward the tower.

The closer Valtyr gets to the tower, the steeper the slope becomes. The gradual spiral of the staircase isn’t reflected on the tower exterior. Roll Might + Physical to climb the slope to the wall of the tower.

Player rolls Might + Physical vs DC 10 with Disadvantage: 9
Plot Stress: +1 (33)

Valtyr slides back down the slope as loose rocks give way. He can hear the slow methodical footsteps of the approaching undead that have made the climb. He can make another attempt at DC 15 and Disadvantage before the first wave of undead come around the corner.

Valtyr expends his 3 Hope to rekindle the Candle; that gets rid of the Disadvantage. Now it’s him vs. DC 15…

Player rolls Might + Physical vs DC 15: 14
Plot Stress: +1 (34)

Welp. 10 v 1. He’s survived that before…

Player rolls initiative: 5
GM rolls initiative: 15

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 15, 12
Player rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 12: 10
GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 18, 6
Valtyr takes 1 damage, 9 HP remaining
Player rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 12: 24
Critical Hit, +1 Hope: 10 damage
Plot Stress: +2 (36)

Good news, they can only approach you two at a time on this narrow trail. Bad news, they have a spell caster.

The first exchange fills the air with rusted metal smashing against wooden shield; Valtyr’s riposte is off balance and wide. The next moment, a skeleton scores a hit with a rusty sword against Valtyr’s side. The Northlander’s shield swipes across the exposed jaw of the skeleton and knocks its head into the air and down the slope as he pulls his axe free.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 4, 12
Player rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 12: 10
GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 5, 14
Player rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 12: 11
GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 1, 9

And roll Intellect + proficiency vs DC 12.

Player rolls Intellect + proficiency vs DC 12: 19
Valtyr takes 3 damage, 6 HP remaining
Player rolls Intellect + proficiency vs AC 14: 12
Player rolls Intellect + proficiency vs AC 12: 23
Plot Stress: +3 (39)

As one skeleton falls, another takes its place. The trio square off and exchange blows, neither side finding a useable opening. When the priest arrives, a pulse of magical energy washes over Valtyr, who manages to retain control of his faculties with some difficulty.

Valtyr aims the arm ring of blasting at the priest; the white runes lined in orange flare to life. A second ring of runes slides up his arm and a wide bolt of fire shoots toward the priest, scorching burns into the rocks behind him. The second ring merges with the first; a thinner stream of burning energy blasting a skeleton apart.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 6, 20
Valtyr takes 2 damage, 4 HP remaining
Player rolls Intellect + proficiency vs DC 12: 8

A skeleton swings with a bent blade; Valtyr easily steps aside and avoids the attack. The replacement skeleton takes advantage of its position and stabs into the viking with a broken dagger. The priest breaks into a wide grin and sends another pulse of energy into Valtyr’s mind.

“Sleep…”

The VIU shuts down and Vince pries the helmet from his head.

“So. What you think?” Fetu asks.

“I think it’s a waste of time,” Vince replies.

“You only sayin’ that ‘cause you lost.”

“I’m saying that if I had a pistol, things would’ve turned out different.”

Fetu smiles. “A pistol? I got somethin’ you might like. Wanna be a pirate?”

“A… What? I got mission planning to do.”

Vince gets up from the recliner and heads toward the door. He glances back over his shoulder at the still form of Wendy lying in her own reclined seat, VIU over her eyes and software humming to life. The dim light from various displays cast her skin in green.

“This how she passes her time?”

“Pretty much. She’s lookin’ fo’ answers. I jus’ build the software. Wanna watch?”

Vince grunts and walks out of the room. “I’ll leave you kids alone; when mission prep is done, I’ll come by.”

“Too bad,” Fetu mutters to no one. “This VIU Point is unique.”

Thursday, February 8, 2018

On Moonlit Wings: Valtyr #3

I forgot to note that the first session’s character sheet says Valtyr has a mace. I switched that to an axe to keep the character in theme. He’s a Northlander and a viking. It would make sense he’s familiar with an axe, sword and spear due to his culture, and I don’t think Northlander clerics would have the same restrictions as other clerics (especially with class based weapon damage).

Player rolls for next area: Empty

Plot Stress: +5 (15)
GM rolls Stress Check: 95
Location: (20) Port/station/transit
Quality #1: (56) Cold
Quality #2: (03) Mine/shaft/tunnel
Quality #3: (02) Cave/cavern

The cleric passes through the door, the light offered by the enchantment displays a sharp turn with stairs that lead up. They spiral gracefully around the perimeter of the tower. Any commotion from the fleeing kobolds are long since gone.

The tower has been left in a state of disrepair for a long time. Coming around another bend, Valtyr sees a pile of rubble blocking his slow climb up the tower. A tunnel leads of to his left, burrowing further into the mountain.

He stops and presses against the wall, dimming the light of the coin in a loose fist.

Question 1: Are the fleeing kobolds near?
Player rolls Yes/No: (31) Yes

GM uses Miso to determine state:
Option A: Waiting in ambush
Option B: Further in the cave
Option A - 3, Option B - 1

GM rolls Physical + Subterfuge for Stealth: 20
Player rolls Intellect + Subterfuge vs DC 20: 10

GM rolls for Encounter Budget: 21
GM uses previously fled kobolds: 7 weak officers (7)
GM rolls for foe encountered: common leader (10)
GM rolls for foe encountered: brute (10)

7 kobold noble guards (CR 0, minions): 1 HP, AC 12, shoddy pole weapon (1 dmg)

kobold sergeant (CR ¼): 5 HP, AC 12, sword +3 (1d6)

kobold war hound (CR ½): 10 HP, AC 14, bite +5 (1d6)

Valtyr listens at the tunnel’s entrance; he had heard something further in the passage, a subtle scrape and voices deeper within.

Valtyr opens his fist to light the way and pulls his axe into his hand before slowly walking into the tunnel.

The tunnel is narrow, perhaps as wide as two people walking shoulder to shoulder. It opens into a naturally formed cave, stalagmites and boulders are scattered across the cavern floor. The ceiling reaches up past the perimeter of the light spell; the air has grown colder the deeper Valtyr ventures into the tunnels.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 14: 10, 18, 5

A trio of spears fly from the dark corners, two of them clatter against the rocks beside him. One cuts across the arm holding the glowing coin.

Player rolls initiative: 12
GM rolls initiative: 17

A loud howl emerges from the back of the cave and several figures burst into action.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 9, 17, 12, 16, 15
Valtyr takes 1 damage (6 HP remaining)
Player rolls Intellect + proficiency vs AC 12: 22, 9, 12

Valtyr soon finds himself surrounded by a small throng of kobolds, each stabbing at him with long pointed sticks. Three of them strike against his shield, pushing him back and almost off balance. The fourth seizes the opportunity to stab into his leg. Another howl answers the first, and a large mangy hound charges from the shadows and crashes into his shield.

Valtyr grunts beneath the impact and growls in response; he lifts the axe hand and uses the arm ring of blasting, splitting the ray into three beams aimed at the kobolds.

White runes lined in orange spring to life from the arm ring, floating a lazy circle around it. A searing beam shoots forward and forks into three lines; two kobolds howl in pain as their fur scorches and skin burns.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 16, 18, 15, 14, 10, 21
GM rolls for damage: 1
Player rolls Intellect + proficiency vs AC 12: 15, 8, 5
Valtyr takes 2 damage (4 HP remaining)

Natural 1: The Candle is extinguished; Dread Track gains one token.

The cleric soon finds himself surrounded by five kobolds and a warhound. The kobolds are clumsy in their attacks, and he almost avoids each of their attacks. One of them scores another hit and opens him to the attack from the warhound. Its black claw tears through the scale and scores a weak hit against Valtyr’s back.

Valtyr channels more energy from the arm ring and fires another trio of scorching beams into the mass of kobolds. The prior attacks has him off balance, one beam sears a kobold, the second flies wide and the third despairingly hits a nearby boulder.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 19, 1, 10, 6, 20
GM rolls for damage: 2
Player rolls for healing: 15
Valtyr has 10 HP and 4 MP remaining

The situation quickly falls to desperation. One kobold steps forward and stabs into Valtyr’s chest. Three kobolds continue to flail against his shield, leaving a wide opening for the hound to bite into his shield arm. Fortunately, the bite was not nearly as lethal as it could’ve been. The cleric kicks the dog free and swiftly utters a prayer to Eir for more healing.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 19, 12, 4, 12, 23
GM rolls for damage: 3
Valtyr takes 4 damage (6 HP remaining).
Player rolls Intellect + proficiency with Disadvantage vs AC 12: 20, 24, 17

GM rolls Personality + proficiency vs DC 15: 5, 12, 17

Natural 20: The Candle is sparked.

Once again the kobold tactics of pressing against his shield forces Valtyr off balance. A light hit scores a slight wound, but it allows the dog to bite his leg to cause a more severe one.

Grimacing beneath the weight of his enemies attacks, the cleric pulls the last charge from the arm ring and fires another set of burning energy into the kobolds. Three of them fall to ash as incinerating rays fueled by anger burn them to death. The two kobolds around the cleric stare at the pile of ashes and turn to flee. One voice from the shadows barks orders, ignored by the fleeing kobolds.

Valtyr is left with one kobold and a snarling war hound.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 20, 6
GM rolls for damage: 3
Valtyr takes 3 damage (3 HP remaining)
Player rolls for healing: 9
Valtyr has 10 HP and 1 MP remaining

The kobold sergeant steps from the darkness, brandishing a sword and ordering the dog to continue attacking. The dog’s attack rips into his leg; the kobold sergeant chops with his blade, but the attack is turned aside by Valtyr’s shield. Spent, Valtyr pulls the last of his healing magic to save himself, closing bleeding wounds and preparing for the end.

GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 10, 8
Player rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 14: 9
GM rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 17: 21, 9
GM rolls damage: 4
Valtyr has 6 HP remaining.
Player rolls Might + proficiency vs AC 14: 19
Player rolls damage: 5
GM rolls Personality + proficiency vs DC 15: 14, 10

At first, the fight is evenly matched. The duo square off against the cleric, using the kobold’s attacks to open a way for the dog to charge in. Neither side gains any advantage.

Then, the sergeant swings into the shield and bashes it aside, leaving Valtyr exposed. The dog uses the opportunity to rip into the cleric’s leg and causing a major wound. Valtyr, angered, wounded and desperate, brings his axe down on the hound’s head. The chop inflicts heavy damage.

The dog yelps and growls at him. Severely wounded, it retreats back to the shadows, following the other two kobolds. Left alone, the sergeant levels his sword at the cleric and utters something in the growling, snarling language before turning and retreating as well.

Valtyr doesn’t have the energy to pursue. He’s almost half dead. He has no energy to draw from. His arm ring is empty of charges. Valtyr collapses against a boulder, exhausted.

Plot Stress: +8 (23)
GM rolls for Stress Check: 100